Sunday, January 23, 2011

2011 New Year, New Hobbies!!




Brendan and I started this wonderful tradition years ago that every new years we would take up a new hobby. We figured it was a way to keep our brains working and always cool to learn new stuff. Over the years the hobbies have been everything from learning about wine, golfing, snowboarding and whatever else catches our fancy. Last year my hobby was learning to knit since there was a knitting shop down the street from our house in Michigan. I have fallen head over heels in love with knitting since. I haven't progressed to sweater yet but proudly I did accomplish my first pair of socks. Hats, scarfs and socks are currently my favorites, we'll see the more I learn the more I fall in love. So apart of my goal for 2011 is to knit a sweater, we'll see how that goes...
Snowboarding has been a hobby accompanied by a labor of love meaning that the first few times I went I needed to drink some tequila by noon to survive the afternoon. After purchasing a pair of knee pads, helmet and getting the crap kicked out of me I finally got both edges and now proudly can ride anything on the mountain. It's pretty sweet, I recently upgraded my board, boots and bindings to match my level of expertise. I think secretly Bren misses the good old days of Alyssa having to drink on the hill by mid morning to survive Mount Hood!!!
This years hobby is going to be learning how to make home made bread from scratch no bread machine involved. I have always wanted to be able to do this and this is the year I am going to learn how. I purchased a great book, have myself signed up for a high altitude bread baking class and I am crossing my fingers. Bren's hobby I think involves just surviving school, occasionally reading for pleasure and getting an internship. I also want to try and cook a recipe out of very cookbook I own. I have a guilty pleasure of purchasing cookbooks for the pretty pictures. As always, this lovely blog will document it all. If you haven't done it yourself I suggest you make the best new years resolution and pick up a new hobby, it always makes for an interesting year!
Love
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment